Have you ever wondered what the world record is for the highest hippie jump? Well, everyone here at Braille sure has, and that’s why we’re so excited to show you what we got up to when we teamed up with the incredible Shane Boyer. We made it our mission to do the world’s tallest hippie jump and we’ve decided to teach you the easiest way to hippie jump while we’re at it! Join us, along with Shane Boyer, as we attempt leaping to heights yet to be achieved. Do Shane and the Braille team have what it takes to break the world record? With Braille’s help, we’re confident you’ll be hippie jumping with the best of them in no time at all! Be sure to watch out the video and check out our tips below on how to get the most height on your hippie jumps.
How to Hippie Jump the Easiest Way
- Approach the obstacle at a decent speed with your shoulders parallel to the board and your feet on the bolts
- Just before you ride into the obstacle, jump straight up with both feet at the same time to clear the obstacle
- While jumping, bring your knees to your chest and spot your board as it passes under the obstacle
- Once the board has passed under the obstacle, land back on the board, preferably on the bolts
- Bend your knees and ride away…FIRST TRY
Helpful Hippie Jump Tips
- If you’re having trouble getting over the fear of hanging up on the obstacle, try doing a hippie jump over a shoe-lace loosely tied to something. This way there is no danger of hanging up and you can adjust the shoe-lace to whatever height you feel comfortable with.
- Another way to get over the fear of hippie jumps is to have a friend on the other side of the obstacle to spot you or catch you if you fall. You can also try grabbing onto their hand while landing the hippie jump for some extra stability.
- If you’re experienced with your hippie jumps and looking for a way to add some height to them, try bringing your knees to your chest and kicking both your feet out sideways in the same direction. In the video above, you’ll see Shane Boyer utilizing this technique, so clearly, it works!
- Don’t jump forward or your board will stop or get sent backward. Don’t jump backward because, well, that just won’t work. Instead, when doing a hippie jump focus on jumping straight up from the bolts so your feet don’t manipulate the tail/nose in any way which may alter the course of the board.
We hope you enjoyed the video and are having fun learning or improving your hippie jumps! For everything you need to get started with or progress your skateboarding, visit us at www.newbrailleblog.wpengine.com/. From complete boards, ramps, and other skate gear, to full skate tutorials and apparel, we’ve got you covered. Now get out there and SKATE!